[sane-devel] Re: canoscan 5500F driver ?

Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:44:20 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 06:40:05PM +0200, Thibault North wrote:
> I already sent an email about that scanner, because I wanted to write a
> driver for it. Unfortunately, I don't really have time now (exams) and I
> absolutely don't know how to write that driver.

As this scanner is reported to use a Genesys GL841 chip (or a variant
of it) you could start addin a test for it in tool/check-usb-scanner.c
based on the normal GL841 test. YOu can name it GL841_HP as done with
the GL646.

> What I wanted to do for
> the beginning is trying to send basic orders to the scanner via USB, but
> I understood I had to use libusb etc, which seems quite complicated to do.

It's pretty simple.

> So if someone owns this scanner too and wants to help, maybe something
> could be done... or if someone who already did an USB driver wants to
> try and explain me basic things this summer, it would be perfect :)

What's the problem? How far did you get with programming?