[sane-devel] Interested in writing a driver for...

Theodore Kilgore kilgota@banach.math.auburn.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:40:29 -0500 (CDT)

Could I also mention that there is the gphoto project, which specializes
in camera support? If this camera is, like many others, a dual-use
webcam-stillcam, then it may (or may not) be supported already in
libgphoto2, for the stillcam functions. You can't always tell what is on
the inside by the name stamped in the plastic on the outside. Some chips
get used in 10 or 15 "different" cameras from "different" manufacturers,
which are not distinguishable from one another underneath the plastic
exterior.

Unfortunately, however, it is not at this time possible to support the
stillcam and webcam functions with the same driver; the stillcam support
uses access via libusb, and the webcam support requires a kernel module to
be written. Further to compound the problem, if a camera is "dual use"
then the kernel module when installed will interfere with libusb access.

Is this camera a dual-use camera? If so, I am really interested, because
I am involved in stillcam support in libgphoto2. In any
case, what is its Vendor:Product number?

Theodore Kilgore