[sane-devel] Interested in writing a driver for...

Greg Apessos st942e93@drexel.edu
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:35:46 -0400 (EDT)

> From: gerard klaver <gerard@gkall.hobby.nl>
> To: sane-devel <sane-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:37:57 +0000
> Subject: Re: [sane-devel] Interested in writing a driver for...
>
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 23:40, Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> > Could I also mention that there is the gphoto project, which specializes
> > in camera support? If this camera is, like many others, a dual-use
> > webcam-stillcam, then it may (or may not) be supported already in
> > libgphoto2, for the stillcam functions. You can't always tell what is on
> > the inside by the name stamped in the plastic on the outside. Some chips
> > get used in 10 or 15 "different" cameras from "different" manufacturers,
> > which are not distinguishable from one another underneath the plastic
> > exterior.
> >
> > Unfortunately, however, it is not at this time possible to support the
> > stillcam and webcam functions with the same driver; the stillcam support
> > uses access via libusb, and the webcam support requires a kernel module to
> > be written. Further to compound the problem, if a camera is "dual use"
> > then the kernel module when installed will interfere with libusb access.
> >
> > Is this camera a dual-use camera? If so, I am really interested, because
> > I am involved in stillcam support in libgphoto2. In any
> > case, what is its Vendor:Product number?
> >
> > Theodore Kilgore
> >

> Vendor id: 0x923, Product 0x10f (info from Greg)
>
> ICM532B chip, same as the biolux.
>
> No still camera function, uses ischrocous mode for data.
> Not supported/ or not yet by libusb which makes it more difficult to
> write a sane vidcam backend for it.
>
> --
> ----------
> m.vr.gr.
> Gerard Klaver

Thanks for all the information.  I was initially confused between writing
a driver for Linux and writing a program to download the images.  The
latter is what I want.  I used USB snoop to capture the data and there's a
whole lot of it which I am slowly going through.  Gerald has a good site
which list his progress on the chipset.  If I end up getting something to
work, I'll post it here.  Thanks again.

-Greg
http://ourwasteland.com/phpwiki/index.php/WebcamInterface