[sane-devel] Bearpaws 2448TA Plus scanner configuration

Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:49:30 +0200

Hi,

Please reply to the list. I'm CC'ing it again.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:09:33PM -0500, Sharon Lim Lee Chin wrote:
> Thanks. I have visited the link below and for out that the GT68xx
> support Bearpaws 2448TA plus scanner. Do you know how to configure
> this sane-gt68xxx backend ?

You don't need to configure the backend but you need the frimware for
that scanner. For details, see "man sane-gt68xx".

> And why the sane-mustek cant support this scanner but sane-gt68xxx
> can support.

sane-mustek supports Mustek SCSI scanners. Generally, backends support
one type of scanner chipset or scanner language. As manufacturers tend
to use new chipsets from time to time and different manufacturers use
the same chipsets it makes sense to make one backend per chipset, not
one per manufacturer.

So the Mustek SCSI scanners are completely different from the Mustek
USB scanners. And even the Mustek USB scanners use different chipsets.
Some are supported by the mustek_usb backend, others by gt68xx or
plustek. Not our fault :-)