[sane-devel] Permission problems with Kernel 2.6.4

Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:01:17 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 03:24:37PM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Yesterday, I tried to scan on my laptop running Kernel 2.6.4 for the
> first time. Some months ago with Kernel 2.4.x scanning was no
> problem. Now that scanner.o disappeared and everything is based on
> libusb there seem to be problems with permissions -- but I don't
> know where. Here are some information:

See README.linux, which will come with the next release of
sane-backends:
http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/sane-backends/README.linux?rev=1.13&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=sane

> skull:~# ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0
> crw-rw----    1 root     scanner  180,  48 Mar 14  2002
> /dev/usb/scanner0
> (the same for all scanner*; but not relevant for libusb, right?)

Correct. For libusb the /proc/bus/usb/???/??? files are relevant.

> chris@skull:~$sane-find-scanner
> [...]
>   # No USB scanners found. [...]

That's strange as sane-find-scanner usually finds the scanner even if
permissions aren't set correctly. Maybe you don't even have read
permissions as user?