[sane-devel] lamp going off on scanning pass - scans all black

John Youells jyouells@adelphia.net
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:39:54 -0400

Just an addition....

I have just tested with 1.0.14-pre2 and still lamp_off and scans all
black for the IIcx and sym53c8xx with 2.6.5 kernel

------------------------

I have an old hpIIcx  running on  gentoo linux with a 2.6.5  kernel .
In order to keep either a Symbios 825a or  BT-930 from timing out and
reseting I have changed line 283 in sanei_scsi to :
static int sane_scsicmd_timeout = 7200;  and then with these options set
in hp.conf:
scsi HP
/dev/sg0
option dumb-read (BT930)
or
option scsi-connect (Symbios 825a)

the IIcx makes all the right noises and and scanner moves but the lamp
goes off just before the final scan pass and my images are all black.
I know that the BT-930 has been a problem in the past but I have also
tested with aha3940, aha2940u, and sym53c825a with either the  same or
even less results. Until about 16 dec 03 the scanner was working fine in
both gentoo an win2k with the aha3940 and a few other scsi devices
(testing with only the scanner now...). I believe I was running
sane-backends-1.0.12-r2 in dec. In testing I have gone back thru all the
versions from 1.0.14-pre1 to 1.0.9 (modifying the sane_scsicmd_timeout =
7200 each time) and looking at debug logs from sane, but my scan lamp
turns off just before the scan pass an results in an all black image in
both scanimage, xsane, and kooka (vuescan segfaults).

I have also tested with gentoo-sources 2.4.26  with the same results
with all scsi adapters.
I have been looking thru the source and looking at debug logs but the
code is over my head so far, I still can't tell if the IIcx has broken
or if there is a bug. Can anyone give any debugging suggestions, or
throw any light on this problem.

John Youells