[sane-devel] "Well known" Colour mode strings

Matthew Duggan stauff@guarana.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:13:53 +1000

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 07:44:23PM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 03:08:02PM +1000, Matthew Duggan wrote:
> > Worse, some backends initially define values as SANE_I18N, then do
> > strcmps in other places without the SANE_I18N decoration.  This will
> > surely cause trouble for people using translated versions of SANE.
>
> As Mattias already daid: this is not a problem. If it had been a problem,
> SANE users would have cried out loudly years ago :-)

Ahh goodo, I have to plead ignorance when it comes to the mechanics of
internationalisation stuff.

> > outside of en.US for that matter).  This is also possibly a bug in
> > scanimage for not giving the backend-provided stringlist options for the
> > --mode option.
>
> scanimage prints the backend-privided values. Try e.g.
> scanimage -d test --help
>
> As far as I can see, option mode is no special option in scanimage.

Ok, so the bug report is wrong.. I should know better than to trust user
reports without testing their claims ;)

> > So, my suggestion is that we also have VALUE strings defined in
> > saneopts.h in a translatable fashion, to avoid the repetition of string
> > constants, avoid the logical errors in translated versions, and avoid
> > the inconsistancies that can develop between backends.
>
> That's a good idea. There is already a proposal for this in the SANE 2
> standard draft:
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane2/0.08/doc014.html#s4.5.6

Excellent.. I suppose I should have checked that really..

> I'd just use these values and add them to saneopts.h (after the freeze).

Will do.

> Do we really need Color Lineart (or Lineart Color)? Better don't
> mention that crazy mode anywhere :-)

Just looking... the nec, sharp, and umax backends support it, and yeah
they can't agree on which way around to put it..  That's a good enough
reason to include it I guess :)

Cheers,

- Matthew Duggan