[sane-devel] Which scanner for doing good OCR under Linux ?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee.sane at gmx.net
Thu Apr 1 11:49:20 BST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:36:51 +0200 Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> Concerning the speed of the scanner: which are the fastest scanners ?

The Bookeye is quite fast when compared to most flatbed scanners. After
all, one of its purposes is high volume scanning of books.

> Is
> there a risk that speed leads to a lost in quality of the scanned image ?

Often, scanning speed is specified in milli seconds per line. Sometimes
scanning speed also depends on the color depth. Using this information you
can calculate the time it takes to scan one page. For example, scanning an
A4 page for OCR (300 dpi with one bit color depth) at a scanning speed of
3 milliseconds/line takes
    11.7 inch * 300 lines/inch * 3 milliseconds/line = 10.5 seconds.
As for the quality: Obviously, scanning at lower resolutions and, thus,
lower quality is usually quicker. Other than that I doubt that scanning at
high speeds leads to a decrease in quality.

Felix

PS: To contact me off list don't reply but send mail to "felix.klee" at
the domain "inka.de". Otherwise your email to me might get automatically
deleted!