[sane-devel] EPSON PERFECTION 1670 scanner

remi.malatray remi.malatray at free.fr
Sun Apr 18 12:47:22 BST 2004

> Hi,
>
> > I only have one regret : negatives scanning doesn't seem to work.
> > I've tried so hard to find something about this matter somewhere,
> > but didn't succeed. Maybe is it because it's a brand new product.
> >
> > Is there any chance we can get it to work with negatives with sane
> > ?
>
> in principle scanning of negatives and slides should work on a 1670
> Photo, at least it works for other snapscan models. Can you be a bit
> more specific as to how exactly it fails? Are you able to chose
> "Transparency adapter" as scanning source in xsane? Does the actual
> scan produce an image?
>
> If Epson changed the protocol for the transparency adapter in the 1670
> there may be additional work required. Most of all I'd need a usb
> trace of a transparency scan in windows. Unfortunately I have little
> time to work on the backend right now, but if you're interested and
> willing to run some tests we may finally get it to work.
>
> - -Oliver

Hi Olivier,

Maybe are you not aware of some details about how to make this scanner
work with Sane.

Following the steps in the documentation leads nowhere, except bad
headakes. When looking forward to make the device work on my Linux
machine, I finally thought that my 129 Euros investment was definitely
lost. Fortunately, I found something on the web about it : someone who
had the same problems earlier ; following his instructions lead me to
a working scanner, basic at least (unfortunately, the article is
written in French. I've attached a copy of it : in case of translation
concerns, please let me know, I will translate it for you).

As I'm a novice in both scanners and Linux, I can't give you further
relevant informations, but only a feeling : as it seems, the 1670
Perfection has special means for scanning negatives, and the current
protocols used for the Epson scanners cannot be applied straight to
it. I'm afraid there is some work to be done... for which I won't be
of any assistance.

But what I can do is offer my help : I have a fully functionnal Linux
machine and an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo scanner. I would be very
pleased to test some stuff from you !

OK ?

PS : As I can now scan positives on paper, this matter is not of the
utmost urgency. Take it easy...