[sane-devel] usb scanner found by kernel but not by sane?

Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:01:04 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 03:48:27AM +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Any ideas if/how to get this scanner working w/ FreeBSD?

I'm afraid that's not possible at all. Even with Linux a lot of people
told us that it wouldn't work because of the kernel patch which is for
old kernels.

> man uscanner(4) says it is supported, but there is noting about it on the
> sane site.

Support by uscanner (or the Linux kernel scanner driver) just means
that someone has added the ids of the scanner to the uscanner code.
All the real "intelligent" code must be in userspace, e.g. sane.

> sane-find-scanner says:
>
>  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0461, product=0x0360) at /dev/uscanner0

Oh, sane-find-scanner now detects the ids of USB scanners on FreeBSD?
That's new. I'll look for the changes to sane-find-scanner in the ports.

Anyway, it doesn't really help in this case.

> Note: when running sane-find-scanner as non-root, it does not find
> anything. I assume I need libusb for that?

You can use either libusb or uscanner. But that doesn't solve the
problem with the Linux-only viceo backend.