[sane-devel] iscan, kernel 2.6.5 & Gimp 2* ?

Adam Bogacki afb@paradise.net.nz
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:13:47 +1200

--------------070307010103050505010704

Hi, I just thought I'd mention that apart from apparently needing
'libesmod.so.1, I'm using
kernel 2.6.5 and running Gimp 2.* ... I noticed something somewhere that
it might be a
problem for iscan to run with this combination.

Are there any other options for getting a scanner working with 2.6.5 &
Gimp 2 ?

What pkg does 'libesdmod.so.1' come in ?

Adam Bogacki.

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

>Adam Bogacki <afb@paradise.net.nz> writes:
>

>>Thanks Olaf, but see below. I'm running unstable.
>>

>Me, I'm running testing (upgraded just about daily ;-).
>

>>>Tux:~# apt-get install libpng-dev
>>>[snip]
>>>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>  libpng-dev: Depends: libpng3 (= 1.2.1-1.1.woody.7) but 1.2.5.0-7
>>>is to be installed
>>>E: Broken packages
>>>Tux:~#
>>>

>Sorry about that.  I made a mental note to check which libpng-dev you
>would need but forgot to do so.
>
>The thing is that libpng versioning is/was a bit of a mess upstream
>and that reflected in the Debian packages.  The libpng-dev package is
>provided by several packages, including libpng10-dev and libpng12-dev,
>perhaps there is/was even a libpng2-dev and libpng3-dev.  :-(
>
>>From the looks of the debian/pool/ is seems that:
>
>  libpng10-dev == libpng2-dev
>  libpng12-dev == libpng3-dev
>
>I'm using libpng12-dev.  You're running unstable, so should probably
>be fine using the same.
>
>BTW, if you want to use iscan as a GIMP plugin, make sure you have
>gdk-imlib1-dev installed and for libusb (required with USB scanners
>for kernels >= 2.6.3) make sure you have a version more recent than
>0.1.6.  libusb-dev from testing is fine, so your version from unstable
>should be to.
>
>HTH,

--------------070307010103050505010704

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi, I just thought I'd mention that apart from apparently needing
'libesmod.so.1, I'm using<br>
kernel 2.6.5 and running Gimp 2.* ... I noticed something somewhere
that it might be a<br>
problem for iscan to run with this combination.<br>
Are there any other options for getting a scanner working with 2.6.5
&amp; Gimp 2 ?<br>
What pkg does 'libesdmod.so.1' come in ?<br>
Adam Bogacki.<br>
Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Adam Bogacki <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:afb@paradise.net.nz">&lt;afb@paradise.net.nz&gt;</a> writes:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Thanks Olaf, but see below. I'm running unstable.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Me, I'm running testing (upgraded just about daily ;-).

  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Tux:~# apt-get install libpng-dev
[snip]
  libpng-dev: Depends: libpng3 (= 1.2.1-1.1.woody.7) but 1.2.5.0-7
is to be installed
E: Broken packages
Tux:~#
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Sorry about that.  I made a mental note to check which libpng-dev you
would need but forgot to do so.

The thing is that libpng versioning is/was a bit of a mess upstream
and that reflected in the Debian packages.  The libpng-dev package is
provided by several packages, including libpng10-dev and libpng12-dev,
perhaps there is/was even a libpng2-dev and libpng3-dev.  :-(

&gt;From the looks of the debian/pool/ is seems that:

  libpng10-dev == libpng2-dev
  libpng12-dev == libpng3-dev

I'm using libpng12-dev.  You're running unstable, so should probably
be fine using the same.

BTW, if you want to use iscan as a GIMP plugin, make sure you have
gdk-imlib1-dev installed and for libusb (required with USB scanners
for kernels &gt;= 2.6.3) make sure you have a version more recent than