[sane-devel] Re: iscan, kernel 2.6.5 & Gimp 2* ?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:51:32 +0900

Adam Bogacki <afb@paradise.net.nz> writes:

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the belated reply.  We had a company summer break all of
8/13-8/16.

> Hi, I just thought I'd mention that apart from apparently needing
> 'libesmod.so.1, I'm using kernel 2.6.5 and running Gimp 2.* ... I
> noticed something somewhere that it might be a problem for iscan to
> run with this combination.

iscan does not work with GIMP 2.* yet, but kernel 2.6.5 should be OK.
Using 2.6.7 myself.

> Are there any other options for getting a scanner working with 2.6.5
> & Gimp 2 ?

Install iscan and use the xsane plugin for the GIMP.  IIRC, it works
fine with GIMP 2.*.  Note that xsane ought to work with the epkowa
backend from iscan.

> What pkg does 'libesdmod.so.1' come in ?

iscan-1.10.0-3.i386.rpm, iscan-1.10.0-3.tar.gz :-)

It's called libesmod.so and when doing a `make install` it should end
up in $(libdir)/libesmod.so.1.1.0 with libesmod.so and libesmod.so.1
symlinks in $(libdir) pointing to it.
# $(libdir) is probably /usr/local/lib/ in your case.
BTW, it's in the non-free/ directory.

HTH,

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/