[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1260 TPU again?

Steve Keppel-Jones Steve Keppel-Jones <stevekj@gmail.com>
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:16:21 -0400

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:41:40 +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> wrote:
> Steve Keppel-Jones <stevekj@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have an Epson Perfection 1260 (possibly a poor choice of scanner for
> > this project) and I would like to scan transparencies with it.  I've
> > read what I could find on the mailing list about other people's
> > troubles with the 1260, so I know I'm in for a bit of a struggle.
> >
> > My package versions are: sane-1.0.12-2, libsane-1.0.14-5,
> > iscan-1.10.0-4.  I'm running Debian with a 2.4.26 kernel.
>
> Care to tell me/us what version of Debian you're using?
> # Looks like testing/unstable, though, from the version numbers.

I currently have testing and unstable in my package source lists, and
I'm fairly sure that most of my packages are updated to those
releases.  But as a relative Linux (and Debian) newbie, I can't
guarantee that all of the packages that a regular user would expect to
see in a standard system are installed.  (For instance I didn't have
the libstdc++ installed when I first attempted to run the epkowa
backend.)  But the libesint23.so doesn't even mention libstdc++ in its
dependencies, so installing the latter library wouldn't (and didn't)
help.

> Sure looks like a C++ issue.  Either a missing library or a library
> with the wrong C++ ABI.  I haven't seen this during development but
> that most likely because I get to compile from source ...

Right.  I guess I can't do that with this backend.

> # Development is done on Debian GNU/Linux testing (despite the fact
> # that EPSON KOWA does not support Debian :-().

That shouldn't matter too much as far as library dependencies go,
I wouldn't have thought...

> Steve, please send a bug report to pipsnews@epkowa.co.jp.
> # And a request for debian packages ...

Okay, bug report sent.  I haven't specifically asked for Debian support yet.

Thanks,
Steve