[sane-devel] Restrictions to NIASH backend

Ullrich Sigwanz us@bernafon.ch
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:32:22 +0200

Hello Julien,

Starting from kernel 2.6.0 the kernel-code in
drivers/usb/core/meassage.c was changed in a way that
when reading strings from the interface, the first byte of the
string was assumed to hold the string length descriptor.

This solved several problems with "newer" devices that "chocked" on
not checking the length descriptor and reading the max. length of 255
(as done in the older 2.4 kernels).

Unfortunately some older devices
(as the NIASH00019 chips in the Scan Jets 3400c and 4300c are)
did not only choke but access to those devices was
denied completely.

There is a known "dirty hot fix" for the file
"drivers/usb/core/meassage.c"
which changes a statement (the only one in the whole file that reads so)

  len = tbuf[0];

  len = tbuf[0] = 255;

I personally use this fix from kernel 2.6.3 on, which always led to
the wanted success (but let the newer devices probably choke again).

>From kernel 2.6.8 on, the mentioned dirty hot fix is no longer necessary
and the kernel code handles the string length descriptor in a very
sophisticated way.

Regards

Ullrich