[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1640SU with ADF or Filmadapter

Terje J. Hanssen nteknikk@monet.no
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:28:48 +0200

I have an SCSI Epson Perfection 1640SU OFFICE scanner, which includes an
ADF and optional a Filmadapter (included in the PHOTO model). The
included software for Windows, Epson Smartpanel for scanners and Epson
Twain5, support both the ADF and the Filmadapter.

Now I try to get this scanner to work with Linux (SJDS and Suse9.1)
using Sane 1.0.14 and Xsane 0.95. Flatbed scanning works OK in both
cases.  But when selecting scanner source Auto Doc Feeder in Xsane, the
following error message occure: "Failed to start scanner: Error during
device I/O", and no scanning starts. Neither Kooka works with the ADF in
Suse9.1.

According to
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=epson&model=perfection+1640+SU&bus=scsi
it looks like the Sane support for Epson Perfection 1640SU should be
complete, possibly also for the PHOTO model with the filmadapter?

However, it looks like there maybe exist different versions of the Sane
backends for this scanner, epson 0.2.42 and epkowa 1.5.2. I am not sure
which version that is included in Sane 1.0.14.

Can someone explain the differences for me and which version I possibly
possibly should use and how?
Can there be other reason that the ADF don't work? Maybe the ADF is not
supported at all, or?
I am also interested to hear if someone has got the Epson Perfection
1640SU ADF to work and possibly how they got it to work?

Thanks,

Terje J. Hanssen