[sane-devel] Re: ISCAN 1.10.0 and Mandrakelinux Cooker

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:44:40 +0900

Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmx.net> writes:

> Oi,

Hi Till,

> I have tried to compile ISCAN 1.10.0 (from iscan-1.10.0-3.tar.gz from
> the Epson-Kowa web site) on the current Cooker of Mandrakelinux. At
> first there is gcc 3.4.1 which needed some small changes in the
> code. One has to apply the attaced patch. In addition one has to
> install the headers for the needed libraries:
>
> urpmi libimlib1-devel libsane-devel libltdl-devel

You are aware of the ABI changes between gcc 3.3 and 3.4, right?
These may lead to trouble using the Perfection 1250/1260 and
Perfection 3170 and when linking with libesmod.so.

Thanks for the patch, expect to see it in an upcoming release (no
promises as to what version).  I'm still with gcc 3.3.

As for required development packages, it would be nice if distributors
agreed on using the same name ;-)

> As SANE is version 1.0.14 I have also edited the line
>
> V_REV=12
>
> to be
>
> V_REV=14

Hmm, it doesn't matter much I guess, but the bits and pieces from
sane-backends used by iscan are only at 1.0.12.
Personally, I prefer to keep V_REV=12 for that reason.

> Then I have compiled and installed the package.
>
> Unfortunately, ISCAN did not work correctly:
>
> 1. "scanimage -L" shows the Epson Perfection Photo 2450 as working
> with the "epson" driver (which is the ISCAN version now).

Please don't use the epson backend from iscan.  It is outdated (see
above).  It is unfortunate that the backend/Makefile.in still installs
it (as well as libsane!).  Note that our rpm.spec only puts the epkowa
backend in the rpm.
# I've been working on a rewrite of the build infra-structure in my own
# time and submitted a patch to pipsnews, but it is low on the priority
# list :-(

> One can scan
> with XSane, but only in the usual flatbed mode. When trying to use the
> TPU, already switching to the TPU freezes XSane for a minute or
> so. When trying to scan (Preview), XSane freezes for some minutes and
> then there is an error message, telling that there is a communication
> problem with the scanner andthe console from which I started XSane
> appear the messages

Could this somehow be related to the USB timeouts reported in

  http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=300830&group_id=30186&atid=410366

and the thread mentioned?

> [epson] You may have to power on your TPU
> [epson] Also you may have to restart the Sane frontend.
>
> The TPU light does not turn on. When switching back to flatbed mode
> all works normally again.
>
> 2. If the Epson Perfection 1260 Photo is turned on, the "epson"
> backend (both the original SANE one and the ISCAN one) hangs for
> several minutes and then even the also connected Perfection 2450 is
> not detected. The ISCAN "epson" backend produces the message

The Perfection 1260 is *not* supported by the epson backend.  It is
only supported by the epkowa and plustek backends.
Ditto for the 1250.

> [epson] ident failed
>
> on the console where "scanimage -L" was called.
>
> 3. The "epkowa" backend does not recognize the Epson Perfection 1260
> Photo. The scanner is OK, as it works without problems with the
> "plustek" backend. Commenting out the "plustek" backend in dll.conf
> does also not help for "epkowa" recognizing the
> scanner. Configuration: only "usb" in the epkowa.conf file.

Do you have a log of `iscan SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=127`?
Are there any USB timeouts in your system logs?

> 4. "epkowa" recognizes the 2450, but the startup of XSane takes ages
> and are always "Failed to obtain value of option monitor-button: Error
> during device I/O" messages. A Preview scannes gives "Failed to start
> scanner: Error during device I/O" after around one minute frozen.

This was already reported in the thread starting at:

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2004-June/011233.html

but I still haven't got a clue.  It's on the list of things to do.
BTW, this is the same thread as mentioned in the bug report refered to
above.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/