[sane-devel] Problem with "epson" backend and Epson Perfection 1260 Photo

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:22:58 +0200

Oi,

before someone complains, I know that the Epson Perfection 1260 Photo is
not supported by the "epson" backend, but by the "plustek" backend.

My system: Mandrakelinux Cooker of today (nearly 10.1beta2), kernel
2.6.8.1-1mdk, SANE 1.0.14, libusb 0.1.8, ISCAN/"epkowa" is NOT installed
in this test.

The problem is the following:

I have an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo (or 1640) and an Epson Perfection
1260 Photo connected to the same machine. To make both scanners
working, I activate both the "epson" and the "plustek" backend in
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf. In the /etc/sane.d/epson.conf I have a line only
containing "usb" to auto-detect supported USB scanners, in
/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf a line with only "[usb]" to auto-detect
supported USB scanners also here.

When I run a SANE frontend (or simply "scanimage -L" now), it takes a
rather long time, and when I look into the debug output (with
environment variable SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 set) I can see that the
"epson" backend detects the Perfection 1260 and hangs on it (as told
above, "epson" does not support the 1260). But after some minute the
"epson" backend seems to run into a timeout and the scanner detection
finishes, telling me that I have a GT9700 (that is the japanese name of
the 2450) used with the "epson" If I choose the 2450 in the menu of the
frontend (xsane in my case) then I can scan normally. If I choose the
1260 and click on "Preview" I get a message that the device is busy.

Now I comment out the "epson" backend in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and the
frontend starts nearly immediately, but naturally the 2450 is not
detected and I get directly into the scanning gUI of the 1260. Now I can
scan normally with the 1260.

If I unplug the 1260 and have "epson" active in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf,
the frontend comes up quickly and I can scan with the 2450 normally.

So I can for now use only one of the two scanners on my machine, the
1260 with "epson" commented out in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf or the 2450 with
the 1260 not plugged to the same machine.

Note: In this test all attempts to scan are done in normal flatbed mode,
not using the TPUs (which are attached on both scanners).

Here is output of

SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 time
scanimage -L > scanimage-L_log.txt 2>&1

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/scanimage-L_log2004081801.txt

    Till