[sane-devel] Re: ISCAN 1.10.0 and Mandrakelinux Cooker

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 04:59:54 +0200

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> You are aware of the ABI changes between gcc 3.3 and 3.4, right?
> These may lead to trouble using the Perfection 1250/1260 and
> Perfection 3170 and when linking with libesmod.so.

Is it possible to complie iscan and/or the "epkowa" backend without the
non-free libraries (then without support for the Perfection 1250/1260
and 3170)? Once one could compile with gcc 3.4.1 then and second, one
could include it in Mandrakelinux, as then one would have totally free
software (i would appreciate then if you put out two separate source
tarballs, one with free stuff and one with the non-free add-on stuff).

> Thanks for the patch, expect to see it in an upcoming release (no
> promises as to what version).  I'm still with gcc 3.3.

Mandrakelinux 10.1 will come with gcc 3.4.1, so the whole distro will be
built with this compiler.

> As for required development packages, it would be nice if distributors
> agreed on using the same name ;-)
>

>>As SANE is version 1.0.14 I have also edited the line
>>
>>V_REV=12
>>
>>to be
>>
>>V_REV=14
>

> Hmm, it doesn't matter much I guess, but the bits and pieces from
> sane-backends used by iscan are only at 1.0.12.
> Personally, I prefer to keep V_REV=12 for that reason.

Why are there parts of SANE in iscan/epkowa? It should use thes
installed SANE for best compatibility. Does the installation of
iscan/epkowa overwrite SANE files and so downdates them from 1.0.14 to
1.0.12? Can this be avoided? Can I perhaps simply manually install the
epkowa backend and perhaps the iscan GUI and nothing else of iscan/epkowa?

>>Then I have compiled and installed the package.
>>
>>Unfortunately, ISCAN did not work correctly:
>>
>>1. "scanimage -L" shows the Epson Perfection Photo 2450 as working
>>with the "epson" driver (which is the ISCAN version now).
>

> Please don't use the epson backend from iscan.  It is outdated (see
> above).  It is unfortunate that the backend/Makefile.in still installs
> it (as well as libsane!).  Note that our rpm.spec only puts the epkowa
> backend in the rpm.
> # I've been working on a rewrite of the build infra-structure in my own
> # time and submitted a patch to pipsnews, but it is low on the priority
> # list :-(

I didnīt know, thought it was somehow hacked by you (better color
calibration or so). It was installed by "make install". So one should
consider it as a bug that "make" builds it and "make install" installs it.

>>One can scan
>>with XSane, but only in the usual flatbed mode. When trying to use the
>>TPU, already switching to the TPU freezes XSane for a minute or
>>so. When trying to scan (Preview), XSane freezes for some minutes and
>>then there is an error message, telling that there is a communication
>>problem with the scanner andthe console from which I started XSane
>>appear the messages
>

> Could this somehow be related to the USB timeouts reported in
>
>   http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=300830&group_id=30186&atid=410366
>
> and the thread mentioned?

Probably you have seen my other tread on the SANE list today, of the
"epson" backend hanging on the Perfection 1260. It was a bug in the
"epson" backend of SANE 1.0.14 which is fixed on SANE CVS and I have
fixed it on the Cooker of Mandrakelinux now. Perhaps there are relations
to this. Now I have applied the fix and iscan/epkowa is not installed
and the 1260 works with "plustek" and the 2450 with "epson", both
installed on the same machine with a fresh Cooker (kernel 2.6.8 final,
perhaps this helped, too).

>>[epson] You may have to power on your TPU
>>[epson] Also you may have to restart the Sane frontend.
>>
>>The TPU light does not turn on. When switching back to flatbed mode
>>all works normally again.
>>
>>2. If the Epson Perfection 1260 Photo is turned on, the "epson"
>>backend (both the original SANE one and the ISCAN one) hangs for
>>several minutes and then even the also connected Perfection 2450 is
>>not detected. The ISCAN "epson" backend produces the message
>

> The Perfection 1260 is *not* supported by the epson backend.  It is
> only supported by the epkowa and plustek backends.
> Ditto for the 1250.

This was caused by a bug in the "epson" backend in 1.0.14. See my other
thread of today on the SANE list. It is fixed now for the original SANE
"epson" backend in the Mandrakelinux package of SANE and in the SANE CVS.

>>[epson] ident failed
>>
>>on the console where "scanimage -L" was called.
>>
>>3. The "epkowa" backend does not recognize the Epson Perfection 1260
>>Photo. The scanner is OK, as it works without problems with the
>>"plustek" backend. Commenting out the "plustek" backend in dll.conf
>>does also not help for "epkowa" recognizing the
>>scanner. Configuration: only "usb" in the epkowa.conf file.
>

> Do you have a log of `iscan SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=127`?
> Are there any USB timeouts in your system logs?

Did the log of my previous posting not help?

>>4. "epkowa" recognizes the 2450, but the startup of XSane takes ages
>>and are always "Failed to obtain value of option monitor-button: Error
>>during device I/O" messages. A Preview scannes gives "Failed to start
>>scanner: Error during device I/O" after around one minute frozen.
>

> This was already reported in the thread starting at:
>
>   http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2004-June/011233.html
>
> but I still haven't got a clue.  It's on the list of things to do.
> BTW, this is the same thread as mentioned in the bug report refered to
> above.

Now thw two scanners work nicely with the "epson" and "plustek" backends
  and the frontends come up quickly.

For more testing of iscan/epkowa I need a possibility to run it on a gcc
3.4.1 box, either with non-free modules adapted to the new compiler or
with the possibility to compile without the non-free modules, or both.

    Till

P. S.: Olaf, your e-mail address olaf(at)epkowa.co.jp and also
pipsnews(at)epkowa.co.jp does not work for me, as "epkowa.co.jp" cannot
be resolved by DNS.