[sane-devel] Re: ISCAN 1.10.0 and Mandrakelinux Cooker

Johannes Meixner jsmeix@suse.de
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:48:26 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Aug 19 18:48 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (shortened):
> Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmx.net> writes:
> >
> > Is it possible to complie iscan and/or the "epkowa" backend without
> > the non-free libraries (then without support for the Perfection
> > 1250/1260 and 3170)? Once one could compile with gcc 3.4.1 then and
> > second, one could include it in Mandrakelinux, as then one would have
> > totally free software (i would appreciate then if you put out two
> > separate source tarballs, one with free stuff and one with the
> > non-free add-on stuff).

I asked the same question some time ago, see the mail at the bottom.

> It is perfectly possible to drop the non-free libraries for the
> scanners you mention, if you disable their support in the backend,
> because they are all dynamically loaded.  Some #ifdef's at the right
> places should do the trick.
>
> However, ripping out the non-free library used by the frontend is
> another thing.  You would need to provide a wrapper for the API it
> exports and implement it ...  Not my idea of fun.
>
> # Personally, I would very much like to do what you propose, but it is
> # not on the list of things to do.

If we had it well seperated into the free part and the proprietary part,
we would be able to include the free part into all of our products
which have scanner support (in particular SUSE LINUX) and then
we could add YaST support.

Up to now this is not possible.
Therefore there is no iscan package available and even if we had
an iscan package it would be useless for normal users because
there is no YaST support.

Whom at Epson Kowa must we contact to convince them that
The advantage for the ... manufacturer is that he will receive
comprehensive Linux support for his devices in all products ...
on all hardware platforms for which these products are available
and for new versions of the products ... without any extra expenses
for the ... manufacturer.
see (the general ideas apply also for scanners):
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/11/jsmeix_print-info-for-manufacturers.html

Kind regards,
Johannes Meixner
--