[sane-devel] reverse compatibility list?

Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:27:59 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 03:58:57PM +0200, Nathaniel Taylor wrote:
> I want to buy a scanner, and of course to run it only under linux or
> *bsd systems.    The Sane compatibility list would help me in choosing
> a useable model, but I want to make sure I buy from a company that has
> made free-software support easy -- preferably one that has provided a
> perfectly working backend under a FSF or OSF approved licence.
>
> Can anyone point me to a "laud or shame" page of scanner manufacturers,
> or just advise me which have been the most open and helpful or the most
> arkward manufacturers?

As far as I know, there is no such list. Looking at the scanner search
engine and entering just the manufacturer names may help. E.g. If 90%
of the scanners are unsupported that's an indication the the
manufacturer doesn't provide a backend himself and doesn't seem to
support SANE developers.