[sane-devel] reverse compatibility list?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix@suse.de
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:46:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Aug 21 18:39 Karl Heinz Kremer wrote (shortened):

> I can at least tell you that EPSON supports the Sane development, and
> you can also get a (not completely free) frontend from EPSON KOWA.

Do you really mean only a frontend or do you mean the iscan scanner
software (frontend and backend) from EPSON KOWA?

If you mean iscan, then this "not completely free" (i.e. the binary-only
libraries) and the fact that the binary-only libraries are only for i386
compatible architectures inhibit us to have it in our distribution.

> On Aug 13, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Nathaniel Taylor wrote:
> > I want to buy a scanner, and of course to run it only under linux or
> > *bsd systems.    The Sane compatibility list would help me in choosing
> > a useable model, but I want to make sure I buy from a company that has
> > made free-software support easy -- preferably one that has provided a
> > perfectly working backend under a FSF or OSF approved licence.

HP has a free (GPL) software for their all-in-one devices, see
http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/
This is included in many Linux distributions.
At the moment it is a bit tricky to set up a HP all-in-one device
because it needs a special USB communication (via HP's special
PTAL service), see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/05/ke_hp-officejet.html

Kind regards,
Johannes Meixner