[sane-devel] Re: HP5370C

René Rebe rene@rocklinux-consulting.de
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:45:50 +0200

Hi again:

Note: Gilles, I can not mail to you privately! Why:

  gilles@ffii.org
     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<gilles@ffii.org>:
     host genba.ffii.org [212.72.72.97]: 550-rejected because
213.148.129.14 is in a black list at dnsbl.sorbs.net
     550 Spam Received See:
http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?213.148.129.14

213.148.129.14 is one of QSC's MX boxes ("mx01.qsc.de").

THIS GETS HIGHLY ANNOYING. Ok? I already did MAYOR changes to mail to
the ALSA lists and I'll not mess my mail server up just because some
people have to much time maintaing spam lists without any use.

Please stop wasting my time with such crap. Run a decently set up
spamassassin or whatever ... BUT STOP BLACKLISTING RANDOM IPs.

This said - I'll just blacklist poeples addresses locally that I know
have wasted by time by not accepting my reply. Or more funny submit your
server IP to those lists ...

Thanks.

René Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gilles@ffii.org wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>

>> I'm sorry to bother you again, but, browsing your site, it
>> seems that the HP5370C scanner should work except for image
>> corruption, but I can't even get to that point (as explained
>> in my mail to the list).
>

> Sorry that I have not yet found the time to reply to your mail ... :-(
>
> The page is a bit incorrect and I should update it ... The HP 5300 and
> 5370 are technically the same. The only difference is that the 5370 is
> sold with more add-on stuff by default. However there exist several
> firmware versions where some do not behave according to the SPEC - at
> least the SPEC I have. Those firmwares result in a shifted image beeing
> returned (some strange uncontrollable off by one error). This can happen
> with scanners labeled 5300 _and_ 5370 - depending on the firmware
> revision. I have both models here, and both work -> read do not have a
> broken firmware. Thus tracking the problem remotely has been a bit slow.
>
> What you experience is, what I guess, a kernel problem with the uhci
> driver. At least in combination with the via chip. Several other SANE
> backend seem to suffer from this problem, too.
>
> I now have a Via based board lying around here, so I now could test this
> locally - if I find the time. Not that likely in the next month :-( -
> but I'll try.
>
> However another idea comes to my mind for the shifted image problem: I
> could dump the firmware of one of my 53xx models and we could try if
> respond in the way the SPEC describes. However I have not yet tested
> messing with the firmware - but I think I have some bits about this in
> the SPEC ...
>
> Yours,
>   René

Yours,