[sane-devel] Device IDs for Epson MF devices

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:40:45 -0500 (EST)

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :-)

You don't have to recompile the backend just because you want to add
a new product ID to the EPSON backend.

To recognize a new scanner, the system has to do two things:

1. The hotplug system needs to know what to do with the new device. This
   is the reasy why you need to add a new line to the sane specific file
   in /etc/hotplug/usb
2. The EPSON backend needs to know that a certain USB vendor/product ID
   is an EPSON scanner. This can only be done by giving the backend
   access to a list of all known vendor/product IDs. This is the list that's
   hardcoded in epson_usb.c. There is however also a mechanism to add
   a new ID at runtime. This is done by adding a line like this to
   the epson.conf file:
      usb 0x4b8 0x80e

Once the scanner is recognized, the backend will talk to the scanner and
find out it's capabilities automatically. This does not work correctly in
all cases, but it should give you at least access to the basic scanning
features. Some scanners have bugs that need to be corrected in software
(e.g. one device does not report it's max. scan area correctly, so I'm
checking for the device name that the scanner reports, and I'm then
chaning the scan area to the correct values).

So, at least for the EPSON backend, what you're asking for is already
implemented (and documented in the man page).

Karl Heinz