[sane-devel] Device IDs for Epson MF devices

Johannes Meixner jsmeix@suse.de
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:56:34 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Dec 20 07:40 Karl Heinz Kremer wrote (shortened):

> NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :-)

Greeeeaaaatttttt!!!!!!!! :-))

>    the epson.conf file:
>       usb 0x4b8 0x80e
>
> Once the scanner is recognized, the backend will talk to the scanner and
> find out it's capabilities automatically.
> So, at least for the EPSON backend, what you're asking for is already
> implemented (and documented in the man page).

Sorry, I have misunderstood the man page.
Perhaps I am the only one who misunderstood the man page but if not
you may add this "Once the scanner is recognized, the backend will
talk to the scanner and find out it's capabilities automatically."
to the man page to make it more clear for all users.

I guess this (i.e. find out it's capabilities automatically)
is not possible for all scanners (i.e. for all backends).

Therefore for other backends an explicite hint which compatible
model it must use may be necessary.
Perhaps it may be even useful for the epson backend if the automatism
results only some generic scannig capabilities (i.e. level B3) but with
an explicite hint it may be possible to use more scanner features.

Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix@suse.de