[sane-devel] 'scan' button

Rich Duzenbury rduz@westernmidrange.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:14:50 -0600

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 09:52 -0500, m. allan noah wrote:
> rich, there has been a bit of discussion about how to handle buttons on
> scanners, though MFD's may be different if they use a separate usb
> interface for each function. Search the archives of this list for more
> detail.
I'll give them a search, is there a decent search interface somewhere
other than archive by month?

> but i wonder, if the button issue was solved, how would your system know
> which user pressed the button? how would it know who to notify? how is the
> device related to user accounts currently?

In this case, all scan stations will collect only one type of document -
orders - and forward them to a central operator for input into the
computerized ordering system, so it doesn't matter which person presses
the scan button.

All incoming orders are to be stored in a particular place on the
network, and the only tricky bit is to notify the operator of new
orders, much the same as an email application notifies it's users of a
new e-mail message.  A frontend program that shows the queue of incoming
scans and allows the operator to dispatch them ought to already exist
somewhere.

Even in my simple case, we do have one routing issue.  Some orders are
routine and others are considered high priority.  High priority orders
must be at the top of the list before the routine orders.  How will we
know?  The user fills in a box if the order is high priority.  We will
need to examine a region of the page and determine if the check box is
filled in.

Perhaps later we will have other types of forms to deal with.  It seems
that we should be able to content scan for a barcode that indicates the
document type, and base routing decisions on the document type.  Perhaps
we need a two forms - one with a high priority barcode, and another with
a regular priority barcode.

In summary, some organized content of the document should be enough to
determine the routing.

If you have any insight into this kind of routing under linux, please
let me know.

--
Regards,
Rich