[sane-devel] 'scan' button

Martin Collins martin@mkcollins.org
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:05:38 +0000

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:01:54 +0000
Tristan Hill <stan@saticed.me.uk> wrote:

> Can you offer any tips on how de-skewing is best done?  It is
> question of writing a program to analyse the image data?  Are there
> particular algorithms recommended for the task?

There are several algorithms out there. It seems to be a common subject
for white papers and theses.

>  Maybe such a
> program already is available to be called by a script?  Is there a
> particular framework geared up to this sort of task? e.g. perhaps
> gimp + plugins

I looked into this a year or so ago and there was nothing available
off the shelf. I wrote a program that works for colour images of text
pages, maybe I should modify it to work with any pnm file. It's part
of a larger project which I hope to release in a few weeks.

Martin