[sane-devel] Canon CanoScan FB630U scanner, 2.6.x kernel and libusb problem

cneugeb@mysc.de cneugeb@mysc.de
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:03:22+0200

Hello Michele,

I have the same problem with my CanonFB630U.

The scanner did run with Kernel 2.4 and first it did also run with 2.6 in Suse 9.1 (but only
as root) .

Since one of the onlineupdates I could not get it to work again - always the "device busy"-
problem.

Christian Neugebauer

> After googling a lot and working a bit, I understood that Canon CanoScan
> FB630U scanner does't work with 2.6.x kernel and libusb, but it works
> perfectly with 2.4.x kernel and scanner module. I'm using the last
> release of libsane (1.0.15) and sane (1.0.13).
>
> That's what I did (unsuccessfully) to try to make the scanner working
> properly under 2.6.8 kernel with libusb.
> In file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf I commented out all rows except:
>
>     canon630u
>
> In file /etc/sane.d/canon630u.conf I commented out all rows except:
>
>     usb 0x04a9 0x2204
>
> In file /etc/fstab I added the row:
>
>     none            /proc/bus/usb    usbfs            defaults
> 0        0
>
> That's the output of sane-find-scanner (that's good):
>
>     found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x2204 [CanoScan FB630U])
> at libusb:001:003
>
> That's the output of scanimage -L (sounds good too):
>
>     device `canon630u:libusb:001:003' is a CANON Canoscan FB630U flatbed
> scanner
>
> That's the output of scanimage >image.pnm (here is the problem):
>
>     scanimage: sane_start: Device busy
>
> and nothing is scanned.
>
> With 2.4.27 kernel and scanner module it works fine:
>
>     $ sane-find-scanner
>     found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x2204) at /dev/usb/scanner0
>
>     $ scanimage -L
>     device `canon630u:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a CANON Canoscan FB630U
> flatbed scanner
>
>     $ scanimage >image.pnm
>
> and the image is perfectly scanned!
>
> I tried these on my Debian Sarge, but I found the same problem on my
> SuSE 9.2  and read of many users with the same problem on many other
> distros.
> I googled a lot, and found a lot of people with the same problem, and no
> one could find a solution. All the solutions I found (remove the
> /tmp/canon.cal file and so on) refear to different problems.
> I don't know if this a libusb bug, a sane bug or a canon630u backend
> bug. If you think there is a better place to post this bug, please let
> me know.
> I tried to be more simple and exaustive that I could, you can contact me
> at michele.dallarno@tin.it in English or Italian for more explanations.
> I apologize for my bad English, I'm Italian.
>
> Can anyone show me/us a solution? Does libusb/sane/canon630u backend
> needs a bugfix? Did you install correctly your Canon CanoScan FB630U
> scanner on 2.6.x kernel and libusb?

:-) kassiere für jede versandte eMail 2,0 Cent (-:
    http://www.mysc.de --- http://www.mysc.at