[sane-devel] hp5400 versus sane

Jim Jensen jwjensen@inwi.net
31 Jan 2004 18:28:52 -0800

Greetings!

I'm trying to get a hp5470c usb scanner working under kernel 2.6.1.
I've installed sane-backends-1.0.11, and hp5400 (apparently)
successfully.

sane-find-scanner returns this output:

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x1105 [HP
Scanjet 5400C Series]) at libusb:001:003
  # A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really
  # a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
can't be
  # detected by this program.

But scanimage -L returns this output:

/etc/sane.d/hp.conf contains the following:

# USB-scanners supported by the hp-backend
# HP ScanJet 5470C
usb 0x03f0 0x1105
#
# Uncomment the following if your scanner is connected by USB,
# but you are not using libusb
# /dev/usb/scanner0
# option connect-device

Note that sane-find-scanner reports that libusb will be used, so I've
left the last two lines above commented.

/usr/local/src/sane/hp5400/hp5400.conf contains the following:

# Device filename to use for scanner access
# Uncomment the following line if you are using the SANE backend
# and want to use the kernel scanner module instead of libusb:
#
#Linux:
#/dev/usbscanner
#
#FreeBSD/NetBSD:
#/dev/uscanner0

Again, I've left the device names commented, since sane-find-scanner
seems to indicate that using libusb is the only method that will work.

I've also tried this under kernel 2.4.20.  Probably because usb scanner
support is compiled in, sane-find-scanner finds the scanner at
/dev/usb/scanner0.  The 2.6.1 kernel does not have usb scanner support
compiled in, because xconfig claims that this option is now obsolete.

Any suggestions?

Jim Jensen