[sane-devel] Success, finally, getting HP5470C working on RH9

Jim Jensen jwjensen@inwi.net
01 Feb 2004 16:18:46 -0800

Yesterday I reported difficulties getting my HP5470C working on RH9.
The tool sane-find-scanner correctly found my scanner but none of Gimp,
Xsane, nor scanimage -L was able to.

Thanks to Robert Riches, who pointed me at a bugzilla.redhat.com bug
report and one of Tim Waugh's posts, I discovered the strace utility.

It turns out that my problem was unrelated (?) to the bug, but by
running strace I was able to figure out what sane components were being
looked for, and where.

The tool scanimage, for some reason, ignored stuff I had in
/usr/lib/sane, and in /etc/sane.d.  Instead, it insisted on getting
things out of the current directory (whereever I was when running
scanimage) and then /usr/local/lib/sane and /usr/local/etc/sane.d.  This
in spite of the fact that /etc/ld.so.conf being apparently correctly
configured.

It seems also to have been helpful to add hp5400 to dll.conf.

Anyway, I'm successfully running the scanner with both Gimp and Xsane on
RH9 (with updates), sane-backends-1.0.12 and the hp5400 stuff.  I credit
my success mainly to careful reading of the strace output, and to Robert
Riches for pointing me in some right directions.

Thanks again, Robert

Jim Jensen