[sane-devel] Sane/Xsane and high resolution color negative film scans

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:55:20 +0900

"Dr. Georg N.Nyman" <gnnyman@swissonline.ch> writes:

> Hello to everyone,
> I am a semiprofessional photographer and consultant and would like to
> get a better understanding of the Sane/Xsane capabilities for my area of
> interest.
> This would mean to scan color negs and color slides ( 4x5" ) with
> Sane/Xsane. Fortunatelly, one of my scanners is on the list of supported
> hardware ( Epson 3200 Photo ), two are not ( Canon 9900 F and Sony
> UY-S90 ).
> I have a few questions and maybe one of you experts can help:
> 1. Scanning negatives - in the Windows world, during the scan and its
> preview, the neg is inverted properly to judge the exposure and to make
> initial color and exposure corrections. I did sofar not find this option
> with Kooka, and with Xsane only rather imperfect.
> 2. Once a preview scan of the whole scanable area was made, it would be
> fine to make a more detailed preview scan of the selected image area to
> properly determine the area to be scanned...
> 3. Scanning large format transparent items means that the size
> adjustments of the scan need to show lower % values than currently
> available - 35% is not small enough. I would need to reduce it to values
> down to 10% and even sometimes a bit less.

You may be interested in "Image Scan! for Linux".  It is available from

  http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2