[sane-devel] Success, finally, getting HP5470C working on RH9

Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:45:43 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 04:18:46PM -0800, Jim Jensen wrote:
> The tool scanimage, for some reason, ignored stuff I had in
> /usr/lib/sane, and in /etc/sane.d.

scanimage looks for libsane.so in the diretory that was specified when
building it. Usually that's /usr/local/lib if you build from source
and and /usr/lib if you use prebuilt binaries. Actually the danmic
linker does this.

The backends themselves check for configuration files in the current
directory and after that, in the directory specified when building
SANE. That's usually /usr/local/etc/sane.d or /etc/sane.d/.

> Instead, it insisted on getting
> things out of the current directory (whereever I was when running
> scanimage) and then /usr/local/lib/sane and /usr/local/etc/sane.d.

That's becasue you used a scanimage that was built this way. Maybe you
installed SANE from source in addition to the version that was
installed by your distribution? Check that there is no scanimage in
/usr/local/bin.

> This in spite of the fact that /etc/ld.so.conf being apparently
> correctly configured.

SANE is build with -rpath (fixed path to libs) by default to avoid
problems with wrong ld.so.conf.

> It seems also to have been helpful to add hp5400 to dll.conf.

Hehe, it's always helpful to acually load the backend that is needed :-)
Without beeing in dll.conf, you can access the scanner directly (e.g.
scanimage -d hp5400:some_device) but it won't be listed.

Thanks for your report.