[sane-devel] scanimage cannot see Umax Astra 2100S scanner.

Russ Pitman rjp@belle.apana.org.au
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:36:18 +0800

Thanks for replying.

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Check that /etc/sane.d exists and that there is a file "dll.conf"
> that's readable by everyone.

My bad--dll.conf was missing. I confused the dll.conf file with the
windows type .dll files and should know better :-(

> To enable debugging, try
>
> SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 scanimage -L

Prints heaps and identifies the scanner at /dev/sg1 and/dev/scanner.

Having found the scanner, running 'scanimage -d umax:/dev/scanner' fails.

The scanner attempts to start up then dies, uninstalling the scanner in the
process.
Here is a partial screendump of the output of the command.

---
hading_data
[umax] 8 bit shading-line 63 read
[umax] read_shading_data
[umax] 8 bit shading-line 64 read
[umax] send_shading_data
[umax] shading-data sent
[umax] start_scan
[umax] starting scan
[umax] sane_get_parameters
[umax] reader_process started
[umax] reader_process: allocating SCSI buffer[1]
[umax] reader_process: starting to READ data
[umax] trim_rowbufsize: row_bufsize = 84150 bytes = 33 lines
[umax] reading 2983500 bytes in blocks of 84150 bytes
[umax] wait_scanner
[umax] scanner reports Error during device I/O, waiting ...

##Here it just hangs until I enter Ctrl C ##

scanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: trying to stop scanner
[umax] sane_cancel
[umax] do_cancel
[umax] killing reader_process
[umax] reader_process: terminated by signal 15
[umax] reader_process killed
[umax] trying to release scanner ...
[umax] scanner released
[umax] trying to reposition scanner ...
[umax] not waiting for finishing reposition scanner
[umax] closing scannerdevice filedescriptor
[umax] sane_read: read 0 bytes
[umax] do_cancel
scanimage: sane_read: Operation was cancelled
[umax] sane_close
[umax] sane_exit
----
After this the lamp remains on but the scanner has to be repowered and
reinstalled from the command line before scanimage can see it.

Is there any more info I can supply?

--
Cheers
Russ.