[sane-devel] Canon 5000F driver

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:51:19 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:24:44PM +0100, Thibault North wrote:
> I have a canon 5000F USB 2.0 scanner which has no driver. I could try
> and make one (if I have help from you ;-))

Good idea!

> and to begin I project to go at Canon to ask them for that scanner
> specifications.

While Canon has never answered to such requests as far as I know it's
always worth a try.

> What do I exactly need to know (everything possible ? ok :-))

Developer's documentation. A description of all the functions and
meanings of any data of the chipset. A description how and in which
order to use these functions/registers.

And/or the source code of their Windows driver.

> Do you think I will be able to create this driver if I only now little
> of C++ ?

Better use C, not C++.

You'll learn C when you write the code. The real work is not
programming itsself but finding out how the scanner works and why it
doesn't work as it should :-)