[sane-devel] Umax Astra 2400S w/ AEC-6712D hanging

DN Dunham dunhamdn@hotmail.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:12:27 -0800

I've been trying to figure this one out for a few months now on my own and
thought perhaps someone there might be able to help me.

The Problem:
I have an old desktop from a mom and pop shop that I have slowly been
upgrading over the years. About a year ago, I started using Linux RedHat on
it. The problem is that not everything works under Linux. Right now, I have
three pieces of hardware I can't get to work on the desktop and the most
pressing need is for the scanner. Besides a few games, its the only real
reason we ever boot-up into Windows.  Anyways....

The scanner is a Umax Astra 2400S that I bought from CDW is 1998. CDW it
appears changed out the SCSI card that was included in the package to an
ACARD AEC-6712D.  This caused a few problems under Windows even, but I found
drivers to get it to work. I now run Linux RedHat 9.0 on my system. RedHat 9
is able to detect both the card and the scanner. It assigns a driver atp870u
to the card. However, SANE (via xsane 0.89) is unable to interface with the
scanner.

After first boot, SANE will detect that the scanner is there and allow me to
try and scan from it. It will actually detect the scanner in two places
(/dev/sg0 and /dev/scanner). However, if I do try and scan with either, SANE
will hang. I seem to recall that sometimes the scanner appears to do things,
but most of the time it doesn't (as in the test I did right now trying to
get a preview).

After attempting to do anything the the scanner and having a failure, the
scanner is no longer recognized by the system until reboot. Not even
RedHat's hardware browser will see it there.

According to the Sane website, the UMAX ASTRA 2400S is supported, but most
of this seems to be with other SCSI cards. I suspect that that may be my
problem yet the SCSI card itself also seems to be supported by the atp870u
driver. Thus, I'm not sure what to do or how to fix the problem.

Can anyone give me any advice, info or (even better yet) a workable
solution? I'd prefer not to buy another SCSI card, but if it comes to it I
am willing.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide,

-DN

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!