[sane-devel] Xsane locks system w/UMAX Astra 1200S

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:51:17 +0100

Dave,

> A few updates.
>
> 1)  I have confirmed that the CD Writer still functions fine.
>
> 2)  I forced the SCSI card to use IRQ 4 (serial ports are disabled).  No
> change.  I pulled some extra, unused cards out of the system and also
> moved the SCSI card to a different slot.  No change.
>
> I'm going to try XSane .92 now.

As Oliver already wrote, updating XSane will probably not change very
much regarding the crash. You could try to use another version of
sane-backends, but I have doubts that this will help.

Sane frontends like XSane or scanimage are just "ordinary" user space
programs, and the scanner specific backends are ordinary libraries
linked to the frontends. While a frontend or a backend may contain bugs
cuasing segfault or garbled images, it is highly unlikely that a user
program itself can freeze a Linux box as you are experiencing. This is
the reason that I suspect either a hardware failure -- or you hit
perhaps a kernel bug.

One noticeable difference between most programs accessing CD
drives/writers and Sane backend for SCSI scanners is that Sane uses
comparatively large data sizes in its SCSI commands (typically 128 kB
for READ commands), while CD writing software uses probably data block
sizes < 32 kB.

It could be that these larger data block sizes are somehow related with
your bug. (though they are not the cause, I think - Sane uses these
block sizes since several years without any problem)

You could try to reduce the block size by setting "option
scsi-buffer-size-min" and "option scsi-buffer-size-max" to values like
16384 or 32768.

Abel