[sane-devel] Re: gamma correction procedure

Stefan Schlörholz stefan@schloerholz.de
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:39:33 +0100

Frank Peters schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2004 17:20:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:17:53 +0100
> Stefan Schlörholz <stefan@schloerholz.de> wrote:

Hello Frank,

> > Could you give hints or a description how to proceed to get colour
> > correction in sane?
>
> The difference between Linux and MS Windows is that Linux requires
> from the user a lot more understanding of the basic concepts.  But
> with a little bit of motivation and effort, the process is easy to
> learn.

sorry I forgot to mention that I collected some information about ICM on
the net allready. I am aware of the fact that the difference in Linux
scans and Windows scan is due to the fact that the Scanner manufacturer
provided a frontend to scan a reference slide, which also was packaged
with the scanner, and that the so obtained profile is automatically is
applied to the scan.

Thanks for the detailed introduction anyway.

> standard that is built into most recent computer monitors).  For
> this, you will need to acquire a calibration target from Coloraid
> (http://targets.coloraid.de).  This should be your only investment
> of hard cash ($15 US).

Do you think the slide provided by the scanner manufacturer will do
also?

> Scanner Space ------------------------> Printing Space
>                   scanner profile
>                   printer profile

But if I understand correctly this printer profile is different to the
printer profile needed to convert from monitor to printer, right?

> for modifying the source code.  For all makefiles in the
> lprof-1.09/qt sub-directories, do the following:
>
> 1) Change -lqt to -lqt-mt in the POSTLIB variable.

I recall having it done for some makefiles allready but I do not know
for what project.

> The program should now compile and provide a nice and easy to use
> graphical interface.

This is a GUI to generate an ICM profile only? The conversion needs to
be done manually, e.g. using ImageMagick (IIRC) by passing the scan and
the profile to e.g. convert?

Is there a chance to automatically have the ICM profile applied when
scanning automatically using xsane?

Thanks again

Stefan