[sane-devel] wrong permissions for usb scanner at boot time

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage@gmx.de
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:39:16 +0100

My AGFA Snapscan 1212_U has been working properly for years, using the
scanner module in the kernel (now Redhat 9).
On the occasion of a kernel upgrade to 2.6.x I wanted to shift from the
kernel module to libusb.

The story so far:
- got me recent rpms of libusb, sane, hotplug ...
- added a "scanner" line for the Snapscan with the appropriate idVendor
and idProduct to /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap
- put a script called "scanner" into /etc/hotplug/usb which sets the
permissions of the usb device to world read/write:
	if [ "$ACTION" = "add" -a "$TYPE" = "usb" ]; then
	  chmod 0666 "$DEVICE"
	fi

All is working as expected if I plug in the scanner after the system is
running, and I can access the scanner as a normal user then.
BUT: permissions aren't set at system startup, even with the scanner
plugged in, I always have to dis- and reconnect the usb cable to get the
scanner to work.

I feel that I am missing something very obvious, so any pointers would
be welcome.
Klaus