[sane-devel] scanner not recognised

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:40:05 -0500

Fedora is very similar to RedHat 9, so this should not cause any=20
problems.
I cannot help you with the HP device, but I can probably help you to get
the EPSON scanner to work again.

The most common problem for SCSI scanners is that the permissions on the
/dev/sg? device are not correct. An indication for this is that you can
scan as root, but not as normal user. If this is the case, just use the
chmod command to change the permissions of the file:

chmod 666 /dev/sg0

Replace /dev/sg0 with the device you are using. I fyou don't have any=20
other
SCSI devices, it will be /dev/sg0.

If this is not the reason, please do the following in a terminal window:

export SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=3D128
xsane > /tmp/scan.log 2>&1

This will log all communication between the scanner and the backend,=20
plus
some more debug information about the state of the backend. Please email
this file to me.

Karl Heinz