[sane-devel] Cannot set up an EPSON Perfection 2400 PHOTO

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:31:52 +0900

Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 22:09, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> > # scanimage -L
>> > device `epson:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Epson GT-9300 flatbed scanner
>> >
>> > I know that my scanner is NOT an Epson GT-9300!
>>
>> You may know that, but your scanner doesn't ;-)
>> The problem is that EPSON decided to market the same scanner under a
>> different name abroad (here is Japan it's a GT-9300), but didn't
>> bother to change the name returned by the scanner.  The epson (and
>> epkowa) backend(s) use the name returned by the scanner, not what is
>> printed on the label (for rather obvious reasons).
>
> That is reassuring.  However, having made one (low-res) scan,
> "scanimage" now fails to detect the scanner.  I don't know what I might
> have done to cause it to stop working.

Neither do I, but you might try replugging the scanner and making sure
that the kernel hasn't loaded the scanner module (which forces the use
of libusb).

Check with '/sbin/lsmod | grep scanner'.  You can use 'rmmod scanner'
to remove the module.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2