[sane-devel] problem connecting to saned over network

Bruce Bertrand bruce@brucebertrand.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:37:19 -0500

Trying to connect to saned from remote computer on local network.   If I
start saned manually with the debug option (-d128), I can connect fine
via telnet and even use xsane.  When I add the proper line to
xinetd.conf, I can not connect.  I've made the shell script to allow
debug mode w/xinetd and output an error file.  I have no lines that
would block me in hosts.allow/hosts.deny (do they even have any effect
when using xinetd?) and I'm not using tcp_wrapper.  Not going through a
firewall.

CanoScan LiDE 30
Sane 1.0.13 (CVS)
Suse 9

the telnet output from the client machine is

Trying XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX...
Connected to server.local.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

output from error file is

[saned] main: starting debug mode (level 128)
[saned] main: trying to get port for service `sane' (getaddrinfo)
[saned] main: [0] socket () using IPv6
[saned] main: [0] setsockopt ()
[saned] main: [0] bind () to port 6566
[saned] main: [0] bind failed: Address already in use
[saned] main: [1] socket () using IPv4
[saned] main: [1] setsockopt ()
[saned] main: [1] bind () to port 6566
[saned] main: [1] bind failed: Address already in use
[saned] main: couldn't bind an address. Exiting.

It's saying that the address is already in use, though when I run it
manually (with xinetd shut off) it does not give this message.  I'm a
bit stumped.....

TIA