[sane-devel] re epson perfection 1200 problems libusb kernel 2.6.1-rc1

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:27:05 -0500

On Jan 17, 2004, at 6:33 AM, Klaus Dittrich wrote:
[ ... ]
> I tested backends-1.0.12 with libusb and it may damage the mechanics
> of your epson-scanner.

It's actually very unlikely that you will damage your scanner if you
have a "real" EPSON scanner (that is one that is natively supported by
the EPSON backend). The hardware is not controlled directly by the
commands that the backend sends to the device. There are no commands to
position any of the moving parts directly, you just tell the scanner
how and what to scan, and the scanner firmware then calculates the
commands it sends to the motors. You have this one additional layer
that protects the hardware from the user (or my software :-) Other
scanners allow the frontend to control the motors directly, this is
much more dangerous.