[sane-devel] HiRes scanning with external lamp

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:50:45 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:35:46PM +0100, Poetsch, Christian wrote:
> For a special application I wanted to use a Epson 2400 Perfection Scanner
> with a external lamp. Therefore I need to turn off the internal lamp.
> Karl Heinz Kremer kindly answered that there is no possibility to do this
> with software in modern scanners.

Actually that's not a problem of "modern" or old. It depends on the
level of intelligence of the scanner. The intelligent (and usually
more expensive) scanners use their own firmware and get commands like
"scan image with resolution foo". Most cheaper scanners need lower
level commands like "move scan slider 300 motor steps". In the latter
case, turning off the lamp is usually no problem. Example: Scanners
using the GT6801 and GT6816 chips.

Also any scanners using external lamps for scanning
films/negatives/transparencies may be used for your perpose. Maybe
it's necessary to cheat the scanner into thinking that an external
transparency adapter is connected.