[sane-devel] discussion: Future of SANE-project

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

the project is composed of many individuals, each with different
goals/interests. The part of the website you quoted does not suggest to me
that we are gunning for TWAIN, just that SANE is a better design.

however, history is FULL of better designs that did not make it for
cost/political reasons. technical superiority != market penetration.

TWAIN is well established, well supported, and represents 90% of the
existing install-base. This is not likely to change even if we all dropped
our attempts to maintain backends and focussed entirely on browbeating the
mfgs/oems. and since this is something that most of us are not interested
in, we as individuals do not tend to do it.

if you dont mind my asking, explain your interest in sane. why does it
matter to you if it supplants TWAIN?

allan