[sane-devel] Help :-)! 2.6.5 kernel/ Agfa SnapScan 1212u USB - I'm lost :-(.

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage@gmx.de
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:59:38 +0200

Victoria Welch wrote:

> The docs make reference to a needed kernel driver, but if
> one exists in the kernel config I do not recognize it (per
> above: I: [ ... ] Driver=(none).
>
> I have emerged the sane back ends and xsane.  I thought
> perhaps I needed the following in /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
> file:
>
> #------------------------------ General
> -----------------------------------
>
> # Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware
> file, if
> # firmware upload is needed by the scanner
> firmware /usr/lib/sane/SnapScan_1212U_2.bin
> [ ... ]
>
> I'm still not sure if it is necessary or not.
>
> Whatever is going on here, nothing in /dev gets created in
> any form I would recognize as to having to do with a
> scanner.

I have been using this very AGFA scanner for years in Linux, and it is
really well supported. But with the 2.6 kernel series, the rationale has
changed: no more kernel modules or /dev's, bus the scanner is addressed
via libusb.
So what does
	sane-find-scanner
given in a console, reply? If you read something like:
	found USB scanner (vendor=0x06bd [AGFA], product=0x2061 [
Snapscan1212u_2]) at libusb:002:002
then your scanner is recognized and may be adressed by xsane or so via
libusb.
If not, then you probably don't have sane-frontends and/or libusb, so
get it.
The next step should be
	scanimage -L
If you DON'T read
	device `snapscan:libusb:002:002' is a AGFA SNAPSCAN 1212U_2 			flatbed
scanner
try the same as root. If there's success at last, then there is a
permissions issue that allows only root to access the scanner. Getting
it to work for normal users is another story ...
As to the 'firmware' line in snapscan.conf: It's ok and should be there
(if the .bin file really is in the indicated location)
Klaus