[sane-devel] Canon FS4000: image data is sensor data, not RGB?

Dave Burns sane@burnsorama.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:00:28 -0400

Sorry, ignore this post. It's not raw data as I can now see an image with
different scanning parameters.

I am making good progress reverse-engineering the SCSI protocol for this
film scanner. I now have a short test program in C that scans film and I now
have the challenge of decoding the image data returned. It appears to be raw
sensor data. I don't have experience with many other scanners: is this
typical of scanners to return raw data? Or maybe typical of film scanners
but not flatbed?

I have seen Dave Coffin's page on dcraw
(http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) which can decode sensor data to
RGB but want to consult this list before I start to integrate his code in
case anyone here has already done this and can offer tips/advice.

Also, the image data appears to contain more data than expected. I.e. there
is more data then there should be if I consider the size of my scanning
window and work out the math. Is this typical and is it normal to have to
interpolate to provide the user with expected results?

db