[sane-devel] sane-backends-WIN32

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch@Rauch-Domain.DE
19 Jun 2004 13:44:12 +0200

Hello.

Here a little experience report with sane-backends on WIN32.
I used xsane-win32-0.94-sane-1.0.14-complete-no-gimp.zip for
my tests with a UMAX Powerlook III SCSI-scanner on Windows 2000.

I can create debugging messages with
set SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=12
or
set SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=128
and scanimage.

With xsane the stdout and sterr are not available
because it is compiled as GUI.

The status is:
1) xsane recognices the scanner without any changes.
2) The xsane interface comes up with correct options
   => INQUIRY is done without problems
3) Starting a scan or a preview makes two problems:
   a) SCSI Buffer size seems to be limited to 32KB,
      that is too small for this scanner in Color mode.
      Increasing the size by umax.conf options does not work.
   b) the START_SCAN command returns with I/O Error.

The SET_WINDOW command and SEND_GAMMA_DATA in grayscale
mode does not make any problems.

It is encouraging that the INQUIRY, SET_WINDOW and SEND_GAMMA_DATA
commands work without problems. I do not have an idea why the
START_SCAN command fails.

Please also report your experiences with sane-backends on WIN32.
I think that we only have to do some little sourcecode changes to
make it work. If we succeed with this then SANE gets the chance to
be THE SCANNER DRIVER STANDARD and may be one day the manufacturers
start writing their own (windows) drivers as SANE driver.

Best regards
Oliver