[sane-devel] Re: HP 5300C Xsane Failure

Rene Rebe rene@rocklinux-consulting.de
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:08:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:07:13 -0500,
    Myke Carter <mykec@mykec.net> wrote:

> OK.  Are you suggesting that I uninstall the RPM?
> =

> I guess it wouldn't matter if I did even if I couldn't replace it lat=
er =

> because it doesn't work anyway, huh? :)

Yes - uninstalling is the cleaner solution since you can not
accidently use an old file later.

> > AFAIK the SANE/Backend pacakge is backward compaitible
> =

> Backward compatible with what?

With previous SANE/Backends versions.

> > - just make sure your source packages replaces the RPM package file=
s,
> =

> I should just uninstall the package entirely then before compiling fr=
om =

> source.

Yes - that is even cleaner.

>  > so compile with the correct --sysconfdir and --prefix ...
> =

> All I know right now is that the config files are in /etc/sane.d/. =

> What's up with --prefix?

Where the files will be placed in. I guess your current files are in
/usr (/usr/lib/libsane* for example). The compile-from-source default
is /usr/local. I suggest you specify --prefix=3D/usr for ./configure.

Please see the sane-user mailing list archive for lenghty discussions
and information.

http://www.rocklinux-consulting.de/oss/avision/

http://svn.rocklinux-consulting.de/sane-avision/trunk/backend/

> > Your scanner will work with 1.0.14 - but in my svn
> > (Subversion) repository you get some newer fixes, like enhanced
> > sharpness, more robust light detection and enhanced 16bit / channel=

> > support ...
> =

> One feature I get with the HP PrecisionScan software (for Windows) th=
at =

> came bundled on CD-ROM with my 5300C is an automatic image rotation =

> adjustment that I don't believe exists in any Linux scanning software=
. =

> The MacOS 9 app that comes from the same CD-ROM doesn't even have it.=

> =

> That features makes it very easy to get perfectly vertical scans of =

> rectangular things such as sports cards, business cards, books, etc. =
- =

> without having to use something like The Gimp later to slightly rotat=
e =

> each image (which invariably blurs them unnecessarily).

If you rotate them in the driver you get the same blurs anyway - there
is no way to get around this - the same algorithm needs to be applied
on the data. Nevertheless the feature might be a nice to have in
e.g. xsane ...

Sincerely yours,
  Ren=E9 Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer