[sane-devel] Re: scanner not recognised part II

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:25:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Paul Frisson wrote:

> Checked /var/log/messages in which I found no clue about the unloading the
> driver. (can't paste the lines here because apparently I need to be logged as
> root to read that file, is ther something like 'su' in graphical mode ? - I
> don't feel it yet using 'vi' in text mode).

uh, open a terminal, 'su -', give root passwd, and vi the file. then you
can cut from that window into your mail client, and you have as few
programs as possible running as root. if you dont like vi, you could try
pico or jed, or emacs.

> Solved the problem with, as you said, some silly magic (modprobe in rc.local),
> but feel a bit frustrated not understanding where the driver goes after
> having been loaded.

if you remove the scsi driver right now by hand, 'rmmod modulename', and
then run 'dmesg', do you see any messages at the end about the removal?

allan