[sane-devel] Problem with HP 7400C.

Erik P. Olsen Erik P. Olsen" <Erik@epo.dk
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:52:38 +0100

** Reply to message from Rene Rebe <rene@rocklinux-consulting.de> on Tue, 23
Mar 2004 12:03:53 +0100 (CET)

> Hi,
>
> On: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:09:20 +0100,
>     "Erik P. Olsen" <erik@epo.dk> wrote:
> > I am running a vanilla Fedora Core 1 and I think I have implemented all
> > the advice I have found in the mailing list and elsewhere. I have come
> > to the point where the sound leads me to believe that it scans correctly
> > - at least black/white (line art). However, the scanned image is all
> > black. When I increase the brightness to 50 the image becomes all white.
> >
> > Is this a driver bug - or am I missing something?
> >
> > When I set it to scan colour it also produces all black images but it
> > also sends out a horrible noise but I believe this is part of the
> > problem.
> >
> > What can I do to overcome this problem?
>
> It looks like you run a very old version of SANE/Avision. Just update
> to:
>
> http://svn.rocklinux-consulting.de/sane-avision/trunk/backend/
> http://www.rocklinux-consulting.de/oss/avision/
>
> It should just work then. (incl. ADF and 16 bit scans)

Thanks a lot. I finally managed to install the Avision backend you pointed m=
to and it turned out to be much better. However, there are still problems wi=
th
it:

1. Scanning starts before initialization is finished.

2. It can't perform 16 bit scans. 16 bit color scan produce images with a bl=
end
of colors and absolutely no figures; the outcome is the same no matter which
document is in the scanner. Same with 16 bit gray except that the output now=
 is
a blend of grayscales.

When you say that 16 bit scans should work I fear that the backend I install=
ed
is not the newest. Could you please check that?

Regards,
Erik P. Olsen