[sane-devel] Need recomendation linux/sane compat scanner w/ fast 2bit/greys

Garrick Sitongia sitongia@hotmail.com
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:12:13 -0800

My vote goes to the Fujitsu 620C I just bought. Although I read that the
newer 4120 is even better, if you don't need the flatbed part. The main
thing I've been reading in the reviews is that the "home" models with the
ADF feature don't seem have a ADF that is as robust and trouble free as the
office models. An exception might be the Fujitsu ScanSnap!, but I don't know
if Sane supports it and it internally processes images to PDF's only. I
believe PDF images use JPEG encoding, because I have seen the JPEG type
distortion in them.

Unfortunately, the Fujitsu 620C is not perfectly supported by Sane. The
sp15c backend doesn't have the brightness/contast functions plumbed to the
frontends, and so I have hacked the code to make it read a file for those
values. This sp15c code requires someone's patient attention. The Avision
backend works, but for some reason I cannot get the brightness/contrast
effect to work as satisfactory as with the sp15c backend. So I am using the
sp15c backend, with the hack.

The major issue I have found is finding software for batch scanning. If you
have black and white papers all the same size, you are homefree. If you have
many items of considerable diversity, look for a scanner with an ADF that
will take multiple sized docs in the same feeder batch, so you don't have to
continuously adjust it by hand. I vaguely think I saw an ad for such a
thing. Also find software to do what you need for organizing your scans. I
have been writing my own perl scripts to control the scanner and do file
processing and saving. With a fast scanner, that is where the majority of my
time is spent, not scanning the documents. My issue with the 620C is
software, the hardware is excellent.

Don't forget to check Ebay and factory refurbished outlets for whatever you
decide to get.

Garrick